Monday, July 2, 2012

Educator's Guide to Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats

     In the recent years, Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats have increased immensely. This increase is a direct parallel of new technology and easier access to technology. Today's generation of teenagers and children have a deep understanding of how to use technology. However, they are not all using technology for beneficial purposes. In this educator's guide, it described multiple forms of cyberbullying and cyberthreats. It also discussed why students view the internet as an easy source to bully other people. By not being face-to-face with the other person, the bully often displays more strength because they are not directly speaking in front of the victim. The educator's guide also discussed the importance of educating students about cyberbullying. Some students do not realize there can be legal consequences of cyberbullying and that a simple, threatening text can be an example of a cyberthreat. Educators must be aware of the presence of potential bullying. 
     I believe that all educators should review a copy of this guide because it really displayed multiple cyberbullying situations as well as response plans. It made me realize how I would educate my future students about cyberbullying to hopefully prevent them from becoming a bully or victim. This guide also made me aware of my role as a teacher because I must instruct my students on proper procedures of the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment